Richard Wright is a strong and powerful writer that incorporates his own life experiences into his work making it much more relatable for the reader. I learned from reading Black Boy that even though your childhood isn’t picture perfect conditions and you may face hardships that you have to stay focused on your own goals and try your hardest always to achieve them.
In the beginning of the book he speaks of how he set fire to his house and also how his mother beat him unconscious. A lot of readers probably will not relate with the beating section of that story but more so with the part about doing something so horrific and doing something that would cause a lot of damage. Personally when I read that section, I could relate because I went through an experience that would have resulted badly if not stopped. For me that is always good to be able to relate to the author.
Another thing that I would take from Richards Wright’s story is that nothing will be handed to me on a silver plate. While reading Black Boy, I noticed that Wright went through a lot, not only in his childhood but in his adult life as well. He faced a lot of controversy and had to deal with a lot of things, but through it all, with a few mistakes, he got to where he wanted to be (or seemed to be headed in that direction).
Black Boy was a piece of literature that proves with hard work and dedication anything can be achieved. Wright didn’t have the ideal setting for a good childhood but he made due with what he had and started a new life for himself. I learned from reading his work that it is every important to connect with your reader and be able to relate with them or else, a writing piece can some time seem worthless.
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment